Homemade English Muffins

By  |  11 Comments

Homemade English Muffins from ZestuousI love toasted English Muffins with peanut butter and honey. Making homemade muffins isn’t hard, using Michael Ruhlman’s recipe.

In place of the package of active dry yeast, I used 20 grams of fresh cake yeast, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. The dough is a cross between bread dough and pancake batter.  It’s loose, but not runny.

I let my dough rise for 1 ½ hours and then stirred in the dissolved baking powder. I chose not to use the shaping rings (just more dishes to wash), plus the slightly odd shapes add character that shows they were homemade.

You cook these on a skillet dusted with cornmeal. I kept the heat at medium, so the corn meal wouldn’t burn before the muffins were done. I baked them for about 5 minutes per side and let them rest before splitting them open with a fork.

I ate one with bacon and a poached egg and another with…you guessed it…peanut butter and honey. Bon appétit!

Homemade English Muffins from Zestuous

11 Comments

1. Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls

August 21, 2011 at 8:41 am

These look amazing and I so love english muffins! I think I have to make some. Thanks for the perfect Sunday morning inspiration! :)

2. zestuous

July 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone.

3. Debbie B. (Debarooroo)

July 13, 2011 at 7:52 am

My sister made some the other day and they are FABULOUS homemade. I need to make them myself and seeing your post makes me wish I had more!

4. Jenn

July 9, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Homemade English Muffins – very impressive!! I have never had one with peanut butter and honey, but I will be trying that out ASAP!

5. Sasha @ The Procrastobaker

July 9, 2011 at 3:54 am

I absolutely adore english muffins, my lunch today in fact will be a toasted muffin with smoked salmon, cucumber and lashings of lemon – my literal heaven! I havnt ever tried making them at home but they do look very easy as far as yeasty things go and i would be elated if mine turned out half as gorgeous as yours! Might have to give them a whirl some time :)

6. Maureen

June 11, 2011 at 1:18 am

Basilmomma has been busy, hasn’t she? What a great idea.

I have always wanted to make these muffins but thought it was one for the too hard basket. You’ve encouraged me to try.

7. Kimby

June 9, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I’m here from basilmomma’s, too. :) Your Derby Day menu and Mint Juleps are on my “must try” list! Enjoyed reading your profile, as well. (When do you have time to cook between moves??) Looking forward to more of your creative ideas, plating, and photography.
    Sincerely,
    Kimby (aka okielicious)

8. Sherri@FoodBasics101

June 7, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Hello! I found you through Basilmomma’s Blog Hop!
    Homemade english muffins sound delish! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great day! Sherri

Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/3nd53r4

9. Mindy

June 6, 2011 at 9:04 am

My husband and I love English muffins, but I’ve never tried to make them–partially because I’m a little scared to! After this post, I may just have to go out on a limb and try them. (Btw, I found your blog through basilmomma’s linkup, and I’m so glad I did!)

10. Claire @ Claire K Creations

June 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’ve never had peanut butter and honey together. I love them both though so sounds like a perfect combination. We use English muffins to make mini pizzas to. So yummy. I’ll be giving these a go but I’m with you on not using the rings… why add to the washing up?!

11. tanja

June 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

These English Muffins look so tasty, I cannot take my eyes of them :) I will definitely try this recipe next weekend for breakfast! Thanks for sharing!♥