Homemade Toffee Bits

By  |  53 Comments

Homemade Toffee Bits from ZestuousHomemade buttery, sugary goodness in less than 15 minutes.

Toffee bits are so easy to make from scratch, and they taste so much better than the store bought bag ‘o bits. Use them in cookies, in muffins or on ice cream.

Homemade Toffee Bits from Zestuous

Homemade Toffee Bits

Yield: 1 1/4 cups

Homemade Toffee Bits

Ingredients

• ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • pinch kosher salt

Instructions

Place all ingredients in a saucepot.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes.)

Continue cooking for about 8 more minutes, until the mixture reaches 300 degrees and begins to turn brown.

Pour onto a silpat-lined baking sheet and spread thin.

Allow to cool. Place in a plastic bag and break the bits with a can or measuring cup.

53 Comments

1. Tabbycat

August 30, 2014 at 12:12 am

Probably something only I would do – but just a reminder not to touch this while it’s still hot (or put it anywhere near your skin!) I managed to drop some on my fingernail by accident and the gap between my fingernail and skin actually started bleeding immediately. I also have a burnt tongue from trying to get it off (as you do when your finger’s burning up…) Brilliant recipe though! :)

2. Pam

August 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hope you could post a video too so we can compare what we did on our own.. ^^,

3. Angela M. Cable

July 26, 2014 at 6:43 pm

For those that are having a problem with it burning. If you’re at anything higher than sea level, you’ll have to adjust the temperature down from 300 F, Assuming that the recipe works as written AT sea level one would subtract 2 degrees for every 1000 ft elevation. Where I’m at, at 6000 ft, it would be 288 F, a substantial difference, it would be burnt black at 300 F.

4. Beckye

April 3, 2014 at 9:20 am

Perfect!!!! Thanks so much for this recipe. I’ve spent a fortune on the store bought bits. Will never buy them again. These are much better.

5. Kaz

March 30, 2014 at 10:29 am

I made one batch but by the time it got to 300 degrees on my thermometer it had turned really dark brown and tasted slightly bitter, so I tried another batch and at the 230 mark it separated badly both times I used real butter from the same pack, will have to try again as we can’t buy toffee bits for baking here in the UK

April 1, 2014 at 8:06 am

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems. Just to confirm, the temps should be in Fahrenheit. I don’t know what would cause it to separate.

Try placing everything in a clean, dry pot. Stir in once to combine and then leave it alone. Keep an eye on it. At about the 10-minute mark, it should start to change colors. Watch it and when it becomes a rich amber color (like the color in the picture), remove it from the heat. Give it a quick stir and pour it out on the lined pan.

Hopefully, that will work.

• Leigh

July 20, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I agree . Don’t let it get brown or it tastes burned.

6. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Toffee Shortbread Cookies | My Little Gourmet

7. Kim

November 20, 2013 at 8:54 am

Love this! My daughter and I have a tree nut allergy. I can’t find toffee anywhere that does not have almonds in it! I also love the idea of chocolate bits mixed in. Thank you!

8. Pingback: Do the Hokey Pokey … Ice Cream that is | eatyeats

9. Jazmine

August 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I can’t seem to get this recipe right. Not sure if it’s the pot I’m using but my sugar and butter keep separating. Any suggestions?

August 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Are you using real butter? Margarine and spreadable butter probably will not work because they have oil in them.

• LKB

December 13, 2013 at 9:18 am

I used real butter and it separated. After it cooled, I just poured off the excess oil and patted down the toffee with a paper towel, then broke it up. Tastes delicious!

10. Cathryn

May 23, 2013 at 8:37 am

Yum is a understatement! I needed toffee bits for a cake recipe & came across this recipe. I don’t have a candy thermometer but gave it a crack & it came out a treat! Not sure I’ll have any left to make the cake, lol! Guess I’ll just have to make some more ;-)

11. Liam

March 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I LOVED YOUR COOKIES. My mom and dad loved them and so did my sister. I put them into a cookie and it tasted amazing. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!

12. Pingback: Thinking about Dessert? Try these Toffee Brunettes. | The Weary Chef

13. Louisa

February 26, 2013 at 2:54 am

A very big thanks from The Netherlands for this recipe. I’ve just tried it and made my kids (and myself) very happy.

14. diana

December 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Just made some now and the whole family loved them! I added chopping almonds on top though and it taste the same as the herserys skor bits won’t be buying those anymore. Thanks for the recipe!

• diana

December 19, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Oh plus I couldn’t figure out how to vote or I would have and I would have giving you a 5.

15. Patty

December 15, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I make this and have never had to grease or line a pan with anything. There is enough butter in the recipe that it doesn’t stick. I also sprinkle chocolate chips on top while it is still warm and spread with a knife. Tastes just like a Heath Bar.

December 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

What a great idea Patty. I love Heath Bars.

16. Wende

December 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thanks so much for this recipe. I just made it and will add the toffee bits to my Almond Toffee Sandies I make every year at Christmas. I have always used store bought so your bits will make them extra tasty!!!

December 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks Wende. Almond Toffee Sandies sound wonderful.

17. Dede

December 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this.

I had a recipe that called for toffee bits and the commissary and wal-mart , where we live at the moment, do not carry either, almost gave up till I saw this :)

It was super easy and tastes YUMMY!! So butter smooth, my daughter and I could have eaten the whole thing, before we even made the cookies .

Never will I buy toffee again!!!

December 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Wow. Thanks DeDe. I’m so glad you and your daughter enjoyed these. As you know, with Army life it can be hard to find the essentials. It’s fun to improvise…especially when things turn out better.

18. Dawn

November 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yum! After years of buying bits, I decided to tryout a recipe. Thank you so much for the recipe and pictures, they really help.

For anyone without a heavy pot (like the author’s Le Creuset), start out with the ingredients over low-med low heat, just hot enough to melt the butter and begin dissolving the sugar. Once that’s done, begin raising the heat up to medium so it can come to a boil. Keep it boiling while you stir, stir, stir and watch the temp with a thermometer. The coloring instantly darkened close to 300 degrees.

I made the bits to go in a cookie recipe. Can’t wait for them to come out!

November 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Dawn,
      Thanks so much for the thorough instructions using other pots. I hope you loved the cookies!

19. Brandy

November 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Do you have to use butter or can you use marg?

November 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I’ve never tried it with margarine. It may work, but margarine is usually made with oil, so I’m not sure it would develop the right consistency.

• Perin

December 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic, so you never want to cook or even eat with it at all. It doesn’t bake things that well, can ruin a lot of baking, butter is better for you, margarine is hydrogenated oil, sticks to your arteries and your kids will suffer years later with plaque on veins, no good! All these oils should be banned already. So many people do not realize. They actually thought margarine was better then butter at one time, but that probably was someone trying to sell their product. Steer clear of anything hydrogenated and make your own candy and cookies, your kids will be eating healthier.

20. Taylor

October 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I was wondering, do I have to use white sugar, or would brown sugar work too? Can’t wait to try it!

October 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I have never tried making them with brown sugar. It’s worth a shot. Let me know how they turn out.

21. Dina

September 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm

great idea!

22. May Lai

August 5, 2012 at 5:13 am

Hi , mai I know how much is 1 T. water, I would like to try out yr recipe , it looks awesome . Thanks

August 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

T stands for tablespoon, which = 1/2 ounce.

23. Sweetbakingboutique

July 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Ohhh just love the looks of it and will try it right nowww.

24. Sandy Frederiks

June 9, 2012 at 7:18 am

Instead of using silpat, parchment paper would work and you would not need to grease it. Parchment paper can usually be found at the supermarket with the foil, wax paper and plastic wrap, or in a kitchen supply store or – am I allowed to say Costco?
    The recipe sounds scrumptious,will try it for my grandkids.

25. Andrea

June 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I was wondering what I could use instead of a silpat lined cookie sheet. Would it be possible to crisco to grease the pan add flour, and then pour the toffee down?

June 7, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Don’t use flour. I recommend you lay a sheet of foil on the pan and then use Pam, butter, vegetable oil or Crisco. The foil will help you life the toffee off the pan easier.

• Andrea

June 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you for your response. I ended up using wax paper instead and it worked out just fine. Soooo good, definitely a keep.

• Anonymous

February 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I was glad to read down and read this as getting the silpat isn’t an option for me at the moment.

Gonna make some in about 10 minutes. :)

26. Isabel

March 28, 2012 at 1:57 am

Hello, I was up late and craving something sweet but had very few ingredients in my house and I came across your recipe. Only took me about 15 min total to make and about 5 min in the freezer and I am enjoying my toffee treat as I type this. I followed as directed but only added a few chopped nuts (leftover little bags from McDonald’s sundaes). Thanks so much for sharing. I definitely will be making more soon!

March 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’m so glad I could cure your late night craving. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your comment…love the nuts addition.

27. Heather Worley

January 4, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Made these today! Yummy!! Thanks so much for sharing!

January 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I’m so glad you liked them.

28. Pingback: Nutty Chili Pepper Toffee with Hiwa Kai Black Finishing Salt | Ally's Kitchen

29. Ally

January 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Christie! I love this and tried it, but mine’s not as pretty as yours!! Maybe I cooked it too long…didn’t have a candy thermom, so went w/time…mine’s more ‘chocolaty’ color…true to my boho nature I tweaked it some and added about 1/8 tsp of chili pepper flakes then some walnuts and black finishing salt…it’s really rich and gooooooooooooooooood! I’m going to do it again and TRY to make mine look like yours!!

January 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Awesome Ally. I love your creative add-ins. It sounds like the sugar cooked a little too long. I cooked mine in a Le Creuset pot on medium high (burner set to 8) for exactly 13 minutes from the time I turned the burner on to the time I pulled it off the stove.

• Ally

January 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Gonna try it again and do it in my Le Creuset, too…I do think I cooked it a little too long, hence the chicory somewhat choco bitter, but interesting, taste. 13 minutes this time…and I’m gonna invest in a candy thermometer!! LOL!! I’m posting my rendition at Ally’s Kitchen, and, of course, giving your link and you total credit!! xoxo

• Igor

February 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm

January 16, 2009 P150K?!!?!?SERIOUSLY?!!? haha. asan na yang mga kseotng yan! Ilabas na yan! Haha

30. Kathy Mercure

January 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Wow, what a great idea. My mother-in-law could use this recipe. I’ll share it with her too! Thanks for posting.

January 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm