By Christie Vanover | Published June 21, 2014 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
These velvety, crispy Bacon Apple Fritters are sinfully covered with Bacon Glaze (with or without bourbon). I promise breakfast will never be the same.
Apple fritters have long been my favorite doughnuts. Whenever I grab a box of a dozen glazed for work, I always ask them to bag a fritter on the side just for me.
Recently, I went to a party, and a new doughnut shop in downtown Vegas called O Face Doughnuts was providing a sampling of their delights. Of course, I reached for the fritter…but then wait…the server said, “That’s one of our bacon apple fritters.” I couldn’t believe my ears. My favorite doughnut and bacon! Yes please! It was love at first bite. The fritter had a perfect crispy crust with a soft, pillowy center. I was determined to recreate this recipe at home.
I have to warn you, this recipe is NOT healthy in any way. I don’t care that there are apples inside. These are just plain sinful.
I started with a traditional fritter batter and stirred in 1 cup apples and 1 cup cooked bacon. I fried them until they were just golden on each side. As you drop them in the oil, you can spread them to be thin and flat for more crunchification or thicker for a doughier fritter. Or for a fun twist, you can spoon baby fritters in the oil. Everything is cuter when it’s bite-sized.
What makes these bacon apple fritters even more dangerous is the bacon drippings glaze. Yep! You heard me right. After cooking the bacon, combine the drippings with powdered sugar and milk to create a creamy, salty and downright bacony confection. Want to go even naughtier? Add in a splash of bourbon. Come on. I dare ya.
Bacon Apple Fritters
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup 255 grams milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams granulated sugar
- 2 cups 275 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. 5 grams baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 apple diced (about 1 cup or 125 grams)
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- ⅓ cup 55 grams bacon drippings
- 1 cup 125 grams powdered sugar
- ¼ cup 60 grams milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F (205C) degrees. Line a rimmed sheet pan with foil. Lay the strips of bacon on the pan in a single layer. Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from the oven. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate and save ⅓ cup (55 grams) of the drippings for the glaze. Dice the bacon.
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add in the milk. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the diced apples and diced bacon.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat to 325-350F (160-175C) degrees. Drop a large spoonful of batter into the hot oil. Use another spoon to scrape the batter off of the first spoon and gently flatten the fritter out into the oil. Add 2 to 3 fritters to the pan at a time. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Flip and fry for 3 more minutes.
- Place a baking rack over a sheet pan. Remove the fritters from the oil and let drain on the rack while you continue cooking the rest of the batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the bacon drippings, milk and powdered sugar. For a grown-up fritter, add a tablespoon of bourbon.
- Spoon the glaze over the fritters. Flip and glaze the other side. Serve.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator