By Christie Vanover | Published November 24, 2014 | Last Updated December 29, 2022
Recently, I dined at Giada’s restaurant here in Las Vegas. I’ve been there for dinner, but she just started serving breakfast, so I wanted to check it out. I ordered the carbonara pizza, which included a blend of cheeses, prosciutto and eggs.
It had been years since I enjoyed egg on a pizza. I first learned about this peculiar pizza topping in Europe. I remember when I first read a menu and saw oeuf (French for egg) as an option. My European friends ordered it every time.
It’s kind of like egg on hamburgers. The rich yolk oozes onto the cheese and elevates the flavors to a whole new decadent level.
While I still don’t add egg to my peperoni pizza, it makes total sense with the flavors of carbonara – a rich pasta dish with eggs, cheese and bacon. I hope you try this pizza and discover something new.
Grilling pizza on a Big Green Egg
- Pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Fontina cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Cooked bacon or prosciutto
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill or Big Green Egg to 500 degrees. Place a pizza stone inside.
- Sprinkle a pizza paddle with cornmeal. Place the rolled out dough onto the paddle. Drizzle olive oil onto the dough and spread with a spoon. Top with cheeses and cooked bacon or prosciutto. Sprinkle with garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle cornmeal onto the preheated pizza stone, and slide the pizza onto the stone. Close the lid.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Then, crack three eggs onto the pizza.
- Close the lid and continue cooking for 15 minutes, or until the egg whites are set.
- Season with salt and pepper, slice and serve.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
I was searching for bibingka recipe and came across yours. I love how you showed steps in making your recipe. I am excited to try several of your recipes. I am a huge fan for filipino food. I will let you know how my bibingka turns out.
Awesome recipe Christi! Love the eggs! What restaurant have you had the best pizza? Remember to add it to your Besty List! http://www.thebesty.com/zestuous