By Christie Vanover | Published August 17, 2014 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
I’m usually a steak purist and avoid smothering my beef with sauces and spreads, but last night, I discovered a quick way to punch a cow with flavor. Mezzetta makes a roasted bell pepper & chipotle spread that is fiery and robust. It was the key ingredient to a 30-minute dinner of grilled Chipotle Skirt Steak with Roasted Corn Relish
The past few days I had a fun reunion in Vegas with a bunch of my foodie friends to watch the finale of the World Food Championships. My husband didn’t get much attention from me, and I was pretty exhausted when I got home. Little sleep can do that to ya.
I wanted to spoil him with a really tasty dinner, but I didn’t feel like cooking all day. When I looked in the pantry, I saw the chipotle spread winking at me. The cute little jar was whispering, “trust me, I’ll do the trick.”
I grabbed some corn and reached into a bag of mini peppers; I selected 2 of each color along with a couple jalapenos. The steak was rubbed with the basics: salt, pepper, oil and soy sauce, and I let it rest while I roasted the veg.
I dipped the pastry brush right in the jar and kissed the veggies with more smoky pepper flavor.
Then, I grilled the steak. Since I was dealing with raw meat, I spooned the spread into a small bowl, so not to cross-contaminate.
We loved the final result, and it only took 30 minutes. And it wasn’t a hard 30 minutes…most of that time, I was sipping wine by the grill and talking on social media.
We devoured the entire steak. It was a perfect amount for two. We only ate about half of the corn though. So if you make two steaks, this recipe would be perfect for four people.
It does have a kick of heat. If you prefer a milder flavor, stir a little sour cream into the corn relish and drizzle the steak with sour cream or ranch dressing.
Chipotle Skirt Steak with Roasted Corn Relish
- 1 lb. skirt steak
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- soy sauce
- 3 cobs corn
- 6 mini peppers 2 red, 2 orange, 2 yellow
- 2 jalapenos optional for heat
- ¾ jar Mezzetta Roasted Bell Pepper and Chipotle Spread
- cilantro optional garnish
- sour cream or ranch optional to mild out the heat
- Sprinkle salt and pepper generously on both sides of the steak. Drizzle oil and soy sauce on each side and rub in. Let rest at least 15 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium high. Place the corn and peppers on the grill. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Brush about 2 tablespoons of chipotle spread on the vegetables and continue grilling for 5 more minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place the skirt steak on the grill. Brush 1-2 tablespoons chipotle spread on the top of the steak and grill for 6 minutes.
- Chop the peppers and cut the corn off the cob.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon chipotle spread.
- Flip the steak and brush with 1-2 tablespoons chipotle spread. Grill for 3 minutes.
- Remove to a platter and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro for a pretty presentation.
- Cut against the grain and serve with the chipotle corn relish.
- [OPTION: If you prefer a milder flavor, stir a little sour cream into the corn relish and drizzle the steak with sour cream or ranch dressing]
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator