By Christie Vanover | Published August 22, 2013 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
Looking for a filling, fruity way to send your kids off to school? These full-size Peaches and Cream Muffins are a great start to any day. In fact, they’re a great way to end the day, too. I ate two straight from the oven last night.
The traditional muffin batter has a hint of almond extract to complement the topping. I poured a layer of batter into the muffin cups and then hand-placed fresh-cut peaches into the batter since peaches are so delicate.
The muffins have a surprising cream cheese layer in the middle that oozes into the whole muffin as it bakes. Finally, after another layer of muffin batter and peaches, the muffins are topped with an almond crumble for a sweet cobblery texture.
Peaches and Cream Muffins with Almond Crumble
- 3 ¼ cups 450 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 200 grams granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups 360 grams milk
- ½ cup 120 grams vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 peaches peeled and diced
Cream Cheese Layer
- ⅓ cup 75 grams cream cheese
- 1 ⅓ cups 150 grams powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup 90 grams brown sugar
- ½ cup 75 grams all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup 55 grams butter, softened
- ½ cup 50 grams sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a second bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, milk, oil and almond extract.
- Stir together the wet and dry ingredients and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Then, mix in 1 egg. Set aside.
- Using a pastry cutter, large fork or your hands, mix together the brown sugar, flour, butter and almonds in another bowl. Set aside.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. Spoon a layer of batter into each liner. Place a few pieces of peaches into each muffin.
- Spoon a layer of the cream cheese mixture on top of the peaches.
- Spoon another layer of batter on top, and add a few more peaches.
- Top each muffin with a generous amount of almond crumble.
- Bake in a 400F (200C) oven for 25 minutes.
The nutrition information is an estimate created using an online nutrition calculator