By Christie Vanover | Published February 18, 2014 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
This Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Honey Mustard Horseradish Sauce is a colorful, tangy twist on the traditional side item.
I fell in love with sweet potato fries in Manhattan, Kansas – “The Little Apple.” Once a week after Taekwondo (btw I’m a black belt), my husband and I would eat at Willie’s, and we would order a big basket of their sweet potato fries.
The best part was the honey mustard dipping sauce. There was something about the sweet, tangy sauce that married perfectly with the sweet, earthy taste of the fries. It’s kind of like mayo and regular French fries. They just go together.
Mayo and fries? Yep! That’s how they eat ‘em in Europe and I’m hooked. Think about it. We don’t make traditional American potato salad with ketchup do we? Nope we use mayo. So it was just natural for a roasted sweet potato salad to be made with the right dipping sauce.
Recently, I attended the grand opening for Bobby Flay’s new Vegas burger restaurant, Bobby’s Burger Palace, and he has sweet potato fries on the menu. And guess what…they’re served with honey mustard. They have a BF twist though. He added horseradish…and I loved it!
The sauce for this salad was decided – Honey Mustard Horseradish. I used Saucy Mama Mustard and Horseradish, of course, because I’m in love with the stuff and I really admire the company. Feel free to use your brand of choice.
For the potatoes, I used a mix of orange sweet potatoes and white sweet potatoes. The white sweet potatoes are creamier and a little sweeter, plus I liked the color variety.
For added texture and flavor, I roasted the potatoes on a sheet pan with sweet red onions, garlic and some chopped Anaheim pepper. Then, I tossed them in the creamy, tangy sauce. This side salad is great warm or cold. Try it at your next get together.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 3 sweet potatoes cubed (about 6 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup Anaheim pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons mustard I use Saucy Mama's Smoky Garlic Mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. creamy horseradish sauce I use Saucy Mama's Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes, garlic, red onion, Anaheim pepper, olive oil and coriander in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Arrange on a sheet pan. Bake in a 425-degree oven for 30 minutes.
- In the empty bowl, stir together the mustard, mayonnaise, honey, horseradish sauce and salt.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the mustard mix and toss to coat.
- Serve warm or refrigerate and serve chilled.
The nutrition information is an estimate created using an online nutrition calculator