By Christie Vanover | Published September 11, 2011 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
Here’s another Back 2 Basics recipe for ya. It’s my Zestuous Rub. This goes great on pork, beef, poultry and seafood. It has a little kick…because hey, it’s Zestuous!
I grind my own ancho chili powder because one day I had a recipe that called for a dried ancho pepper. I had to buy the whole bag just to get one, so whenever I need chili powder, I just return to that never-ending bag and throw it in the coffee grinder.
But you can buy ancho chili powder already ground. Just don’t use regular chili powder because it has other stuff mixed in like cumin and garlic. What makes this rub so flavorful is the celery salt. It’s that hidden flavor that will leave you licking your lips, craving more.
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. celery salt
- Grind 1-2 dried ancho chili peppers in a coffee grinder. Or buy ground ancho chili peppers.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of ground chili powder with the remaining ingredients.
- Rub the spices onto your meat and let it rest about 10 minutes at room temperature before grilling. (There is no need to use olive oil).
- For boneless pork chops, grill on high for 5 minutes.
- Flip and grill another 5 minutes.
- Allow the chops to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator