Campfire Bacon

By  |  24 Comments

Campfire Bacon from Zestuous

This is a recipe (or really more of a technique) that I discovered while camping a few weeks ago.

I vowed to make recipes using only foil and skewers, and no way was I going to give up bacon in the process. If you can put a marshmallow on a stick, by God, you can put bacon on a stick.

Campfire Bacon from ZestuousThe secret to getting your bacon evenly crispy is to weave each strip onto a skewer, leaving a gap between weaves. Then, continue weaving more strips on the skewer, leaving a few inches empty at the end.

Campfire Bacon from ZestuousPrepare a campfire and set two logs or rocks on each side of the flames so you can rest the skewers on the logs/stones over the flames.

Rotate the skewers every 5 or so minutes to ensure even cooking and browning. You might get a few flare-ups…that’s just a bacon grease fireworks celebration. If it gets too out-of-hand, have a squirt bottle with water near by to put out some hot spots.

Campfire Bacon from ZestuousYour bacon should be crispy, ready and extra smoky in about 30 minutes.

What a happy campfire breakfast!

24 Comments

1. Pingback: 18 Mouthwatering Breakfast Recipes to Try On Your Next Camping Trip - Homemade Recipes

2. Pingback: Stash Feed – 19 Easy Breakfasts You Can Cook On A Campfire

3. Pingback: 19 Easy Breakfasts You Can Cook On A Campfire | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

4. Sharon

July 27, 2014 at 9:49 am

GREAT idea love it. Used two skewers so the bacon didn’t rotate.

5. Pingback: 27 Delicious Recipes To Try On Your Next Camping Trip - Exploring this Rock

6. mary

July 14, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I purchased 1 lb. bacon which was 10 oz fat and 6 oz. of bacon .Was this meant for rendering or eating?

• zestuous

July 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Eat it all Mary! You can hike it off in the morning.

7. Pingback: Mõned hipsterpildid ja muud lingid | laualamp

8. Mike

July 8, 2014 at 5:42 am

Where did you find those skewers. Those are cool. I will have to try this

• zestuous

July 15, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I think I got them at either Pier One or Cost Plus.

9. Randy

July 7, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks….love camping… love BBQing, had fire dept out to my house 5 times last summer because of smoke coming from BBQer….lol again thanks for all the ideas toward cooking at BBQ and camping….

• zestuous

July 15, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Yikes! I think the fire dept just came to your house because they know how good your bbq is and they want a taste.

10. Pingback: 27 Delicious Recipes To Try On Your Next Camping Trip | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

11. john

June 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm

will try it next time i am camping

12. Joanne C

June 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Why are there wads of aluminum foil in the fire? Does it help it cook quicker?

• zestuous

June 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Good question! They’re packets of oatmeal. I soaked steel cut oats in cream, milk and sugar the night before. Then, I poured the oats into foil pouches and threw them on the fire for breakfast.

13. Vicky Nay

May 31, 2014 at 5:21 pm

My question is: Where did you get those skewers?? And I also wanted to tell you what a GREAT idea this is :) Regards, Vicky

• zestuous

June 1, 2014 at 8:17 am

Thanks Vicky! I purchased them at Pier 1 quite a few years ago.

14. Debbie

May 31, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Where did you get the skewers? Those are great

• zestuous

June 1, 2014 at 8:20 am

Debbie, I got them at Pier 1 quite a few years ago. If you can’t find them there, you might also try Cost Plus World Market.

15. Jim S.

January 17, 2014 at 10:12 pm

You might want to try draping the bacon over a rod, like a spit, over the coals about 18″ to 2′. The heat will roast the bacon and the smoke will further flavor the bacon. If you’re concerned about flare ups, position the rod or spit to one side of the fire ring or keyhole and push the coals out from under the bacon. The rendering fat will drop to the ground. When you light a fire for lunch or dinner, the fat in the ground will burn off.

• zestuous

January 21, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Jim,
      Sounds like you know your way around a campfire. Thanks for the tips.

16. donna smith

January 15, 2014 at 9:12 am

This site will not let me post to FB. I liked you on their media site, am subscribed to email, so can you tell me the problem?

• zestuous

January 21, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. The facebook link should work now.