By Christie Vanover | Published March 24, 2012 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
This is a simple, classy appetizer with a little limoncello zest, a creamy center and a crispy bite.
Asparagus is by far my favorite vegetable. My favorite way to prepare it is on the grill with olive oil and lemon pepper.
For this appetizer, I took the lemon concept to a grown up level and went with limoncello.
I first learned about limoncello in Europe. My Italian landlord brought me a bottle of homemade liqueur straight from Italy. It’s a combination of lemon peels soaked in grain alcohol combined with simple syrup. The liqueur has the pure essence of the lemons with a subtle sweetness.
For this dish, you’re going to make a limoncello cream by combining cream cheese and the liqueur. Spread it on a wonton wrapper and roll the asparagus inside.
A quick bake in a very hot oven, and you have an easy, elegant appetizer with simple clean flavors and a variety of texture.
Since I made these at 9 a.m., it was a little early to do apps, so I turned this dish into a breakfast, as well. I fried up 3 slices of sopressata, added three limoncello asparagus spears on top and finished it with a poached egg and a sprinkle of lemon salt.
Limoncello Asparagus Spears
- 4 ozs. half block cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons limoncello
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- In a small bowl whisk together the cream cheese and limoncello, until smooth.
- Zest one lemon and mix with 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Beat one egg to make an egg wash.
- Cut the woody ends off of the asparagus.
- Spread the limoncello cream on the center of a wonton wrapper, avoiding the edges.
- Lay an asparagus spear on the top edge of the wrapper.
- Roll it toward you.
- Roll it so the seam is at the bottom and place it on a silpat-lined baking sheet.
- For decoration, slice three diagonal slits in the wrapper.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with lemon salt.
- Bake in a 450-degree oven for 12 minutes.
- Serve warm.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator