By Christie Vanover | Published December 6, 2012 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
This refreshing simple syrup, with its vibrant red color, just screams happy holidays. It’s great with rum, vodka or even mixed with a sweet white wine like prosecco or moscato.
Cranberry-Orange Simple Syrup
- 1 ½ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cups cranberries
- peel from half an orange
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of kosher salt
- Place one tablespoon sugar, cranberries and orange peel in a saucepot.
- Cook down until tender, about five minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups sugar, water, lemon juice and salt to the pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. If you want more intense flavors and color, you can let the mixture cool for 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid twice to remove the fruit. Pour the cooled mixture into a bottle or pitcher.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
Cranberry-Orange Wine Spritzer
Place 1-2 ounces of Cranberry-Orange Simple Syrup in a wine or champagne glass. Top off with 4-5 ounces of sparkling white wine, such as prosecco, moscato or even champagne.
The Creamy Christmas
Fill a glass with ice. Add 1 ounce of Cranberry-Orange Simple Syrup, 2 ounces of vodka or rum and 1 ounce of cream. Stir to chill and garnish with a fresh cranberry or orange slice.
Place some ice in a cocktail shaker. Add 1 ounce of Cranberry-Orange Simple Syrup, 2 ounces of vodka or rum. Top and shake until the shaker is cold to the touch. Strain into a martini glass, add 1 ounce of club soda and garnish with a cranberry or orange slice.
Rudolph Juice (non-alcoholic)
Fill a kid-friendly glass with ice. Fill it two-thirds full with Sprite or 7-Up. Add an ounce or so of Cranberry-Orange Simple Syrup. Stir with a straw or licorice stick.