This post may contain affiliate links which help support Zestuous.
You could get really creative with the bread on this and season it up a lot more, but like a traditional Caesar salad, I wanted to keep this sandwich simple. I used Tuscan bread that I found in the bakery section at the grocery. You want a bread that is rustic and hearty. A French baguette would work, too…and actually would make cute appetizer portions.
In addition to Parmesan cheese, I used Swedish fontina cheese. It’s a nice mild white cheese that melts great and has a little nutty note that ties the flavors together. You should be able to find it in the specialty cheese section, but if you can’t find it, feel free to use provolone.
Once everything is fast-baked at a high heat, you end up with melted cheese, tangy lettuce and crispy Parmesan all sandwiched up in a crouton star. Enjoy!
Grilled Caesar Sandwich
- Italian bread
- Olive oil
- Fontina cheese
- Romaine lettuce
- Caesar dressing
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle olive oil on one side of two slices of bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the bread, oil side down, onto a sheet pan. Cover the bread with one layer of sliced fontina cheese.
- Chop the romaine and toss with Caesar dressing to coat to your liking. Place the lettuce on top of the cheese.
- Add a hearty portion of shredded Parmesan and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 4 minutes.
- Sandwich the two halves together and serve warm. It goes great with a glass of chardonnay.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.