This post may contain affiliate links which help support Zestuous.
I love hot wings, but because they’re fried and tossed in hot sauce butter, they’re full of calories. The problem with grilling the wings instead of frying them is that they don’t turn out as crispy…until now.
I searched the web for grilled crispy wings and learned that the secret is to sprinkle them with baking powder and let them sit for about 8 hours in the fridge.
I still wanted the classic bar flavor of buffalo wings without the hot sauce butter, so I made these a little backwards. Instead of tossing them in the sauce afterwards, I soaked them in hot sauce first. I also threw in a couple of bottles of Stella Artois beer for good measure.
The timing was great for this recipe. I marinated them Monday night and woke up Tuesday morning and dried and seasoned them before work. Then, when I got home from work, it was just a quick dinner on the grill.
The wings turned out crispier than I have ever grilled and they were moist with a hint of hot sauce flavor. Feel free to add more hot sauce after they’re grilled if you like extra heat.
Grilled Crispy Beer Wings
- 8-10 full wings
- 2 bottles beer
- ½ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- The night before, place the wings in a zip-top bag. Pour in the beer and hot sauce. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and marinate overnight.
- In the morning, lay some paper towels on a sheet pan. Place the wings on the paper towels and pat dry.
- Combine the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Remove the paper towels. Spread the wings in a single layer and sprinkle on all sides with the seasoning.
- Place in the refrigerator uncovered for about 8 hours.
- Remove from the fridge. Turn half of your grill burners to medium-high heat. Leave the other half of the burners off. Place the wings skin side down onto the side of the grill that is turned off (the indirect heat).
- Grill for 10-15 minutes. Flip. Grill for 10-15 minutes. The skin should be nice and crispy and the meat will be very moist and juicy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.