By Christie Vanover | Published October 17, 2012 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
Every fall, when I lived in Kansas, my dear neighbor Carol would bring over a batch of her homemade apple muffins. They were so good because they only had a hint of sweetness, accentuating the fresh apples and oats.
She shared her recipe with me before I moved, and it was my inspiration for this dish.
In the fall, I also love a big plate of brie cheese with fruit and nuts. So the idea popped in my head that I could combine Carol’s muffins with some brie cheese and a little pumpkin.
They turned out so nice and will be so elegant for a holiday cocktail party.
I prepared them using mini muffin liners and they were a little hard to peel off, so next time, I’ll just spray the pan and omit the liners. That way you can pop them in your mouth right away while the cheese is nice and melted.
One more tip. Brie is sometimes hard to slice. I placed my round into the freezer for about 10 minutes and then removed the rind.
For the topping, I used sliced almonds, but you can use any type of chopped nuts. I might even add a little fig jam next time, just to make it even more divine. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Apple Brie Muffins
- 1 ½ cups 120 grams old fashioned oats
- 1 ¼ cups 150 grams all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup 110 grams chopped apple
- ½ cup 110 grams milk
- ½ cup 100 grams dark brown sugar
- 3 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 200 grams canned pumpkin
- 5 ozs. 140 grams brie cheese
- ¼ cup 30 grams oats
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons 25 grams butter
- ¼ cup 25 grams sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray mini muffin pan with Pam.
- Place the muffin ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Stir until combined.
- Combine topping ingredients.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan.
- Remove rind from brie cheese and slice into small ½-inch pieces. Press a piece into each muffin, spoon the batter over the cheese, and sprinkle the topping on top.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Arrange on a platter.
- Serve immediately or reheat in the microwave, so the cheese is nice and soft.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
Caprice @ The Home Heart says
Love this! I can’t wait to try it 🙂
Such a clever idea! I’m sure these taste delish!!!
I adore Brie cheese and love with apples and crusty bread. The idea of putting it inside muffins sounds amazing and I can’t wait to try this recipe! Pinned.