By Christie Vanover | Published July 1, 2012 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
This recipe creates a simple, rich and super creamy basic macaroni and cheese.
There are no fancy ingredients like onions or bacon. There are no gourmet cheeses. It’s just good ol’ cheddar mac-n-cheese.
I have tried to make homemade macaroni and cheese many times. For some reason the recipe never turns out quite right. It’s either too floury tasting, too stringy, too liquidy…you get the picture.
I was determined to figure it out this weekend. I started with the roux – a cooked mixture of equal parts butter and flour. I found that in the past I didn’t cook my roux long enough, which is why it tasted floury. Today, I burnt my first batch, but round two turned out perfect.
I used whole wheat flour and whole wheat pasta in this recipe for a healthy and nuttier flavor, but you can use regular flour and pasta, too.
Once my roux was perfect, I added more milk than normal. This finally helped my stringy consistency issues.
Then, to pump up the creaminess and because I think I’m addicted to the stuff, I tossed in two tablespoons of cream cheese. Next, basic shredded extra sharp cheddar.
The cheese sauce was perfectly creamy and not floury at all. But it did need some seasoning. Many recipes call for dry mustard. I didn’t have any on hand, so I used French’s yellow mustard. It worked great.
Then, just some STP (salt, Tony’s creole seasoning and pepper). I used white pepper, but feel free to use black pepper, if that’s all you have.
Finally, the sauce tasted magnificent. I stirred in the noodles, and it was wonderful. So good, I put it up on a pedestal.
My next challenge will be to master macaroni and cheese cupcakes.
Super Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
- ½ tsp. yellow mustard
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat macaroni noodles
- Melt the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the flour. Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and increase heat to medium-high. Whisk until it begins to thicken.
- Add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in the seasoning and mustard.
- Add in the cooked macaroni noodles and serve.
The nutrition information is an estimate created using an online nutrition calculator
A true sign of success!