By Christie Vanover | Published May 5, 2011 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
Do you remember when Taco Bell used to sell Cinnamon Crispas? They were one of my favorite afternoon treats. Flour tortillas fried up and dusted in cinnamon sugar. Yummo! Now, they sell Cinnamon Twists, which are okay, but I can’t get over the fact that they look like sweet pork rinds.
I’m not sure that either one is really a Mexican dish. I’ve traveled to Mexico a few times, and I don’t remember seeing either on the menu…but then again, we’re talking about Taco Bell here. Flan is my favorite Mexican dessert, but one day, I was craving those good ol’ Cinnamon Crispas and decided to make my own batch.
This recipe is super easy and is always a crowd pleaser. Bon appétit!
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 8-10 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cut each tortilla into eight triangles. Heat oil in a shallow fry pan over medium-high heat. To see if the oil is hot enough, drop a small piece of tortilla in the oil. If it starts to sizzle, you can start cooking.
- Place a single layer of tortilla triangles in the hot oil. When they start to lightly brown, flip with tongs.
- When the other side turns golden, remove to a paper towel-lined plate or pan. Allow to cool and continue cooking the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour sugar and cinnamon into a large Ziploc bag and shake to mix evenly. Place a handful of tortillas into the bag and shake to coat each crispa evenly. Shake off excess sugar and place on a plate. Continue until all of the triangles are coated.
- (Note: You’ll have extra cinnamon sugar. You can sprinkle it on toast for breakfast or on apples.) Serve plain or with whipped cream, honey, chocolate syrup or strawberry ice cream topping.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
Loved the cinnamon crisp as at Taco Bell. Didn’t care for their replacements!
They have them in Mexico. I just had one at breakfast this morning.
Yes, thank you for the recipe. I loved the cinnamon crispas.
Thank You sooooo much for this easy recipe!!! Just made them for the 1st time and they came out absolutely awesome! My wife said they were on par with a really great sexual experience.
Cinnamon Crispas came to mind out of the blue yesterday and so I wanted to see if I could find a recipe. So glad you posted this, and cool that you just did it this week! Thanks.
Anaka Hudson says
So glad to have found this! The recipe was spot on and they were delicious! Thank you!