By Christie Vanover | Published January 27, 2011 | Last Updated December 28, 2022
This is one of my favorite weeknight meals. I learned about Hatch chiles while watching a special on the Food Network years ago. They are grown in Hatch, New Mexico, and are said to be the world’s best. During an Army move as we were driving across the country, we passed through New Mexico, but we were too far north of Hatch to stop by. Fortunately, when we arrived in Las Vegas there was a tent setup outside the local grocery where they were selling fire roasted Hatch chiles. I bought a few bags. They were great.
Now that I’m in Texas, I was fortunate enough to find canned Hatch chiles in the Mexican food aisle. They come in hot and mild. Before we move again, I will stock up on cans of these like I stocked up on Speculoos and wine when I left Belgium.
This recipe is so simple, but it’s so fulfilling. I love it after a busy day at work. The chiles bring out the best flavor of the beef and the spicy flavors mixed with the Hawaiian sweet bread are so balanced. If you can’t find canned Hatch chiles, don’t worry. Regular canned green chiles work, too.
Weeknight Hatch Chile Sliders
- 1 lb. Ground chuck beef
- 1 can diced green chiles Hatch, if you can find them
- 2 T. soy sauce
- Hawaiian Sweet Bread rolls
- Mix ground chuck with can of green chiles and soy sauce.
- Form into 12 mini burger patties. Grill on high heat for 7 minutes.
- While they’re cooking, make the special sauce. Why put all the condiment bottles on the table. Just mix up equal parts of the mayo, ketchup, mustard and relish, and you have every condiment you need.
- Get back outside and check on those burgers. After 7 minutes, give them a flip. Grill for another 5-7 minutes, depending on your wellness preference. Then, top with a small pepper jack cheese slice. (I usually break one normal slice into 4.)
- Slice the rolls in half, smear the top half with sauce and add a slider. You won’t be disappointed.
- Bon Appétit.
The nutrition information is an estimate created using an online nutrition calculator